Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Supervision from "the Dude"

When you're cutting wood for the winter season, you need a helper or a supervisor. Dude isn't much of a helper, but he's a great supervisor and critter finder. If there's a critter in the wood pile, he'll find it.

I mentioned that he's a great supervisor, because like all great supervisors, he stays out of your way when he sees that you know what you're doing.

And, I like it that way because chain saws, splitting mauls and axes can be dangerous things for my 32 pound buddy. The more he stays out of my way, the better off he is.

The truth of the matter is that I couldn't ask for a better dog. We've bonded quite well, and he doesn't have much interest in being too far from me, but he gives me plenty of "air space" for whatever it is I'm doing.

Sometimes I wonder if he has a clue about what all the wood cutting and splitting activity is all about. I don't think he does, and I don't think he cares. As long as he can sit in front of the fire and stay toasty warm all winter long, he's a happy Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below...